Friday, June 25th
Saturday, June 26th
- Flew to Kalispell, MT.
- Picked up supplies at Walmart and grabbed a bite to eat at McDonalds.
- Drove into Glacier National Park.
- Check into motel - The Village Inn, nice lakeside location with view of distant mountains.
- Drove up the length of Lake McDonald.
- Hiked the trail to the Sacred Dancing Cascades and McDonald Falls (with a couple of detours)
- Had dinner at Eddie's Dinner.
- It stayed light out until 10:45 p.m. (longest day of the year).
Sunday, June 27th
- Rainy day!
- Hiked to Avalanche Lake, five glacier feed waterfalls coming down 2,000 foot high cliffs into a turquoise colored lake.
- Had lunch at a pizza place.
- Drove the west side of the Going to the Sun Road to Logan Pass, very cloudy but some wonderful views of the mountains and valleys, first goat sighting.
- Dinner again at Eddie's.
- Took Amy into town to get more film, first bear sighting on the way back to the motel.
Monday, June 28th
- Did the entire Going to the Sun Road, much better views with clearer weather, waterfalls everywhere since it is still spring in the mountains.
- At Logan Pass hiked the still snow-covered nature trail to Hidden Lake.
- Sack lunch in the parking lot of the Logan Pass visitors center, goats everywhere.
- Ventured down the to the east side of the park for the first time to St. Mary Lake.
- Hiked to St. Mary and Virginia Falls, Amy's feet got a bit sore and bandaged her up.
- Took a short hike to Sunrift Gorge and Baring Falls.
- Drove the Sun Road back to motel in Apgar, stopped at almost every turn out along the way.
Tuesday, June 29th
- Left the Village Inn and drove Highway 2 around the outside of the park.
- Stopped at Goat Lick and followed the railroad track through Marias Pass.
- Stopped at the grand Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier.
- Went to Two Medicine area of park, had second bear sighting near entrance (got photo).
- Short walk to Running Eagle Falls.
- Hiked to Aster Falls and then up to Aster Park lookout.
- Pretty drive through the hills of Blackfeet Indian Reservation to St. Mary.
- Had lunch at local restaurant in St. Mary.
- Checked into cabin at Rising Sun Motor Inn.
- Took a drive up to Logan Pass on the Sun Road, spent some nice time at a viewpoint.
- Had dinner at inn restaurant.
Wednesday, June 30th
- Took some early morning photos of Wild Goose Island in St. Mary Lake.
- Drove up to Many Glacier area of the park.
- Hiked to Red Rock Lake and Falls.
- Had lunch at Swiftcurrent restaurant.
- Took some pictures around Many Glacier Hotel and Swiftcurrent Lake.
- Hiked up to Apikuni Falls.
- Checked out the scenery again along the east side of the Sun Road and fed some chipmunks granola bars.
- Dinner again at the Inn.
- Spent some evening time at the Wild Goose Island viewpoint.
Thursday, July 1st
- Left Glacier in route to Yellowstone.
- Long drive along Highway 89, bailed on this route at Great Falls and took I-15 to Butte.
- Had lunch Arby's and then headed east on I-90 for Yellowstone.
- Arrived in Yellowstone and visited the hot springs at Mammoth.
- Drove down the Yellowstone/Old Faithful area stopping at the Artists Paint Pots and through the Firehole Canyon drive.
- Checked into cabin at Old Faithful Lodge and Cabins.
- Had dinner in cafeteria, would not recommend this place.
Friday, July 2nd
- Walked the boardwalk in the Upper Geyser Basin all the way to Morning Glory Pool.
- Watched an eruption of Old Faithful.
- Had and early lunch at a burger joint.
- Visited Black Sand and Biscuit basins.
- Drove the Firehole Lake loop and stopped at the Midway Geyser Basin to see Grand Prismatic Spring.
- Drove to Canyon with a detour on the Virginia Cascades drive.
- Stopped and got some cash before heading over to see the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and Lower Falls.
- Stopped at Inspiration Point, Grand View, Lookout Point, Brink of Upper Falls, and Artist Point (learned why cell phones should not be allowed in National Parks).
- Drove through the Hayden Valley stopping at Mud Volcano, got to see some buffalo.
- Continued past Lake Yellowstone and south into Grand Teton.
- Check into cabin at Colter Bay.
- Had dinner at resort restaurant.
Saturday, July 3rd
- Drove the park roads getting views of the Teton range from every vantage point, the outer park road actually provides better views than the road closer to the mountains.
- Had lunch at Signal Mountain Lodge.
- Worn out and took an afternoon nap.
- Took a short walk before dinner on what we "thought" was a trail with views of Jackson Lake.
- Dinner again at the resort restaurant.
Sunday, July 4th (Independence Day)
- Drove into Idaho after some taking some pictures of morning fog and clouds surrounding the Tetons.
- Stopped at EBR-1 at Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory.
- Detoured around parade in Arco, ID in route to Craters of the Moon National Monument.
- Visited the monument stopping at every viewpoint open.
- Hiked up to the top of Inferno Cone.
- Ventured into Indian Tunnel.
- Had dinner at Pizza Hut in Idaho Falls on way back to Grand Teton.
Monday, July 5th
- Had breakfast in a restaurant for the first time!
- Drove through the park again this time taking the Jenny Lake loop.
- Took shuttle boat across Jenny Lake to see Hidden Falls and hike up to Inspiration Point.
- Hiked a couple of miles back into Cascade Canyon until it started to rain, had great moose sighting.
- Grabbed sandwich and had lunch in picnic area.
- Napped again.
- Finally hiked the right trail and got to see Jackson Lake.
- Dinner at the resort restaurant.
Tuesday, July 6th
- Took a morning drive up Signal Mountain with some great views of Jackson Hole which were shared with some German and Japanese tourists.
- Drove down to Moose and the Menors Ferry Historic Site.
- Got some sandwiches and drove north for some view of Jackson Lake.
- Went into Yellowstone and stopped at Lewis and Moose Falls.
- Had lunch at lakeside picnic area.
- Napped yet again!
- Had last dinner at resort restaurant, our last bear sighting in the parking lot.
- Drove to some viewpoints to check out the Tetons one last time, walked on the beach at Signal Mountain Lodge.
- Checked out of Colter Bay and headed to the Jackson Hole airport for the trip home.